Pages

Welcome

Though most of this blog contains pictures, it's also a detailed account of my life living with three boys. And yes, they are all boys. Hope you enjoy... they're pretty cute (but often smell).

-Brit

Monday, October 11, 2010

High Hats

This weekend I decided to tackle a full-on cupcake extravaganza! I found two recipes that I wanted to make so decided to hybrid them together.... COMPLETELY FROM SCRATCH!

Here is the journey of my S'more High Hat Cupcakes (well, the end part since I forgot to take pictures of the beginning):

First: I made the chocolate cupcake mixture (very easy and very yummy) and the graham cracker/butter mixture. I filled cupcake cups with the graham first and then topped it off with the chocolate goo... Baked for 17 minutes and then let that cool.

Next: The marshmallow topping. This was actually pretty cool. You start with two egg whites and salt - start beating it (with a mixer of course - no one has enough arm strength to do this part by hand). Next you add in sugar and mix for about 2 minutes. Then the corn syrup. Then you proceed to wonder what you've done wrong because nothing happens for about 5 minutes. All of a sudden: Baking magic! The bowl fills up with this mallow mixture that looks like the inside of a perfectly toasted s'more. Add in some vanilla and you're set.

Putting it all together: Take the topping and put it in a plastic bag. Cut a small hole is the corner and start piping the topping on the cupcakes... nice and high like an ice cream cone. Then start strutting around the kitchen like a true cake decorator (well, that's what I did at least).

So pretty!

Then let your mallow-topped cake sit in the freezer for about 10 minutes as you make-up the choco mix (semi-sweet chocolate chips and oil). Here is where you have to find the patience that I didn't have.

LET THE CHOCOLATE COOL DOWN BEFORE DIPPING! Yep, I just went full steam and started dipping the cakes...


What this picture doesn't show are the clumps of mallow in the chocolate sauce! My high hats weren't too high after that!


None the less, they tasted amazing and looked really cool when you cut them in half. This one is missing the graham center but it was still yummy!

So let the "nesting" comments start... They don't bother me anymore because I have delicious cupcakes in my fridge and you don't!


Oh, last but not least: One of the "I'm sick of dipping these damn things" cupcakes - not as pretty but taste just as good!




No comments:

Post a Comment